Flower: Aster or Morning glory
Chinese Sign: The Pig
September 1, This Day in History:
- 1752 - The Liberty Bell arrives in Philadelphia.
- 1897 - The Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground metro in North America.
- 1905 - Alberta and Saskatchewan join the Canadian confederation..
- 1939 - World War II: Nazi Germany attacks Poland, beginning the war.
- 1969 - A revolution in Libya brings Col. Muammar al-Gaddafi to power
- 1972 - In Reykjavík, Iceland, American Bobby Fischer beats Russian Boris Spassky and becomes the world chess champion.
- 2004 - The Beslan school hostage crisis begins when armed terrorists take hundreds of school children and adults hostage in the Russian town of Beslan in North Ossetia.
- 2007 - Appalachian State becomes the first ever team in the college football division formerly known as 1-AA to defeat an AP top 25 team, upsetting Michigan 34 to 32. (For the Buckeye fans)
Saturday's child works hard for a living.
Nila will start kindergarten in 2012, be old enough to drive a car in 2023, finish high school in 2025, and will graduate from college with the class of 2029, give or take a year.