3/06/2007

Another New Post !?!

Today, I helped my sister, Erin, move stuff from one house to another. All in all, it wasn't too bad.I think everyone knows how I feel about moving, but she was pretty well-together and we just had one truckload of goods to load and unload.

She and I had lunch and talked about a number of things. One thing we discussed was prophecy and specifically the gift of. I really think it's a very powerful gift. I'm sure most of you are thinking something like "duh" at this point, but hear me out.

I don't mean it's powerful in the God-reveals-the-future-and-changes-lives kind of way, although it is. I mean it's powerful in the more subtle God-knows-you-and-has-a-message-for-you kind of way; a way that breaks into your everyday life and points you towards God.

I've been reading the Gospel of John for a few weeks now praying and meditating on what Jesus is doing in that particular book. I haven't made it very far to be honest, because I am struck by the first miracle in the book.

Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." Nathanael said to him, "Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael said to Him, "How do You know me?" Jesus answered and said to him, " Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."


Is it a miracle? I think so, I mean, Nathaniel certainly seemed to think so. He says "You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel." Why? He says this because Jesus tells him something about himself that a normal man could not know. Before you were called to come to me, I knew what you were doing.


Jesus answered and said to him, "Because I said to you that I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these." And He said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see the heavens opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

I just find this all very interesting. I think I know why Nathaniel is so excited by Jesus' statement. Sometimes, when I go to church, I secretly hope that the pastor will call me by name and say something prophetic to me. Anything at all. "Robert, God has a word for you: Stop obsessing over nachos," or "Robert, God has laid it on my heart to tell you to go to bed earlier."

I have seen "greater things than these" and yet I still desire the simple thing, the "I saw you under the fig tree."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was reading through John, quite a while a go. I found myself fascinated with the same part. I loved how Jesus didn't perform an outstanding miracle of turning water into wine, but pursued this one guy, who is ordinary, but yet he cared enough about him to say, "I saw you. I know your heart." I always wonder if Nathaniel was contemplating, faith, life, or just deciding something like should I give this customer back his correct change, since I overcharged him. I don't know, but I think it's cool that Jesus calls to the individuals and not just the masses.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I certainly appreciate the personalized touch of prophecy! Thanks for bringing up the subject.