4/01/2007

I Think I Went to High School With Jesus

Friday night, Megan invited Angie and I to see "The Cost," the Grove City Church of the Nazarene's Easter musical. It's quite a production.

I had a pretty good time, although I have to admit I got a little bored. It lasts almost three hours! And, let's face it, the story's not exactly surprising, you know?

The church is probably the biggest church I've ever been in. It has a food court and a hair salon so that the Christians never have to mix with the non-believers.

Ooops, I meant to keep that last comment to myself. I'm sure there're good reasons to make your church like a compound and, honestly, I'm not trying to judge anybody. To each his own, right?

Anyway, as I always say: You gotta give the people what they want. So, if they want compounds and lavish musicals, someone should supply it.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Thank you for posting this. I love your sense of humor. I needed a good laugh today.

Angie said...

it really DOES have a food court a hair salon though...

Aimee said...

I believe you. A church here has a book store on its compound. They used to have a little restaraunt that the teens ran, but I don't know if that's still up and running.

rdmeeker said...

Tanya, I wasn't trying to be critical, but I was a little flippant in my comments.

In reality, I do think churches can grow to large sizes without pulling Christians out of their community. I do believe that this is what churches like the GCCN are doing rather than drawing unbelievers in.

I think it's great if non-Christians are using the daycare, salon and restaurant facilities that are offered, but I would be shocked if the actual stats for patrons at these establishments was anything less than 99% Christian.

Churches grow by reaching out to new believers and most non-believers aren't hanging out at a fast food counter inside a church; they're at the local McDonald's, the local barber shop and the local KinderCare. If the Christians are all at church, who will reach these people?