3/31/2009

Earth Hour 2009

Did you remember Earth Hour on Saturday? It was the hour set aside to turn of your lights and save the environment from 8:30 to 9:30 pm.

I did not observe Earth Hour 2009.

I know it's symbolic, but let's be real. 1 hour out of 8760 per year? It's a little lame and I think it insults those people around the world who don't actually have electricity. Ooh, look at me. I gave up power for a whole hour because I have so much. I'm saving the environment.

For example, many Kurds have spent years without sufficient power between Saddam and the insurgency in the south - not to mention rampant government corruption.

In 2006, I spent 6 months in Iraq. We had about 8 hours of electricity per day (and I'm being generous). That means that I spent over 2896 hours without electricity.

And, that doesn't count the hours spent in 2007 and 2008.

See you for Earth Hour 4905.

At the earliest.

1 comment:

jen said...

don't even get me started on 'earth day.' oh brother.