11/05/2012

5 Stages of Grief: Economy Edition

If we agree that the economy collapse began in 2008, it's taken music a long time to catch up. This is because we've been working through the stages of grief: denial, anger, bartering, depression and acceptance. I think we've arrived at acceptance as a culture and I give you two examples for that. The first is Starships by Nikki Minaj. This some contains the lines:
Jump in my hooptie hooptie hoop I own that And I ain’t paying my rent this month I owe that
This may not seem like much, but compared to 2009's top song "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas, it looks a lot more like my life.
Tonight's the night, let's live it up I got my money, let's spend it up
And then there's the real reason I wrote this post. This song extolling the glories of the thrift store:

 

No comments: